Friday, September 9, 2011

A Thought for Women

One of my biggest .... fears/worries/goals/desires ... is to be sure that I am the best mother to my children, meaning well, quite a lot of things. To be the best mother would mean that I have taught them how to be their best selves, how to be each other's best friends, how to love themselves, how to be strong in this world of chaos, how to have strong testimonies, how to rely on the Lord. The list continues and grows. My particular concern is being able to do this for my daughters. Perhaps that is because I only have a daughter right now and want to protect her. And perhaps it is because I have an idea of what she/they will go through as they grow up. I feel so worried and scared for them, for these beautiful daugthers of God. But I cannot shake the strength that I get from knowing Heavenly Father knows them and loves them, even more than I do. A mother's love and a mother's worry are closely entwined. To rely on the Lord myself is my goal so I can teach my daughters, my children, to rely on Him as well...and thrive!

What spurred this thought today? A post on Cherie Burton's blog. And this quote in her post:

"A mother who radiates self love and acceptance actually vaccinates her daughter against low self esteem." (Naomi Wolf)

Perhaps the best vaccination out there! :)


1 comment:

Honey said...

You are a wonderful mother, Carla and a great example! Thanks for sharing! Love you.