Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Way to Start the Holiday Season (and celebrate a birthday)

Talking with my sister-in-law Rebecca the other night, she related a really neat story to me. (And knowing she doesn't have a blog of her own, I hope she doesn't mind me sharing the story here. I was so impressed by it that I thought I would share it with even more people. So, thanks for sharing with me Becca!) A family in their area has a Thanksgiving tradition that gives to other people in need. And if I understood correctly, the idea came from one of the children in this family when they were 4, and they are now 7.  Anyway, on to the idea...

The family buys materials to make stuffed animals (think Build-a-Bear style). Then they stuff them and take them to shelters and hospitals and other organizations to give to children. They have grown in their efforts by inviting other people to join them. The people who join them buy the materials from them for the number of toys they'd like to make. They do this every Friday after Thanksgiving. And it started out as an idea from a little child on their birthday! What a wonderful thing to do. And not only to do, but to invite others to share in the joy of serving others.

Becca and I talked about how incredible it was for this family to have this idea. And then more incredible that they carried out the idea. (So many times I have an idea or come across an idea and think I would like to do it, but then never do.) And then even more incredible that they grew their idea by involving others. It's a heartwarming story and a true inspiration!

I hope we all can have ideas to serve others and carry them out. We can be God's helping hands on Earth. :)

No comments: