Our stake has had a theme this year to help people be healthy. It is called "Health is a Habit." Monthly newsletters have gone out with inspiring stories from people in the stake as well as good health tips. Then the culmination of all this healthiness and hard work was a mini triathlon last Saturday. I was really excited to attempt this challenge as I have been wanting to be more active and to complete a triathlon. Kyle, at first, wasn't so excited. But soon he warmed up to the idea and we started training together. I have to say that the most fun was actually training together. Going for runs in the morning with Eva and G were invigorating and fun to look forward to. It helped me to keep motivated knowing that I'd have a buddy to go with.
The big day came and Katherine and Greg came out for the weekend to watch Eva for us. Everything went really well. Eva behaved for them, the water was warm, the sun came out and warmed us up, and we each finished in under 1 hour. The original course was going to be 1/4 mile swim, 8 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run. But there ended up being so many people that showed up that day that they cut the bike ride in half. This was because it was a 4 mile loop and since they weren't able to close off the course, they were afraid there would be too many people on the road at the same time. So we just had to ride one loop. We were bummed at the beginning about that, but by the end we were very happy about that. Haha. One reason I was bummed about the bike ride being cut short was because Kyle surprised me with an early birthday gift -- a road bike! It made a huge difference and was so much fun to ride. I'm looking forward to many rides to come. :)
The swim was in a pool where we swam 16 lengths of the pool, 8 laps total. It was a little chaotic because there were 8 lanes that we snaked through, swimming up and back then under the rope into the next lane to continue. They had us line up according to what we thought our swim abilities and times would be. But there definitely were people who were faster in the back that should have gone earlier. Lots of passing went on. It was crazy. I thought it was pretty fun because I was really worried about the swim, and when it came down to it somehow I was able to channel my nervousness into adrenaline and swim much better than I had during training.
All in all, it was a great experience. And I totally want to do another one. I'm getting excited for the Whidbey Tri next summer. It'll be much longer, but I know it'll be worth it and fun!
 |
| Yes! The finish line! Time - 51:25 |
 |
| They gave us rubber bracelets that say, "Health is a Habit" and "Triathlon 2010." |
 |
| The handsome victor! Happy to be done. |
 |
| Can you tell I'm tired? That run felt like it went on forever. Time - 53:25 |
 |
| Yay! You guys made it! Take me home! |
 |
| Discussing the race. Asking ourselves why we did it. Haha. |
 |
| Tired little girl. She was such a trooper. |
Thanks for doing this with me, Kyle! And thanks for coming and helping us Greg and Katherine! Plus being our photographers. :)
5 comments:
you guys look great! what a fun challenge for your whole stake. and for the umpteenth time- eva! please stop growing up! i need to meet you before you go to college, ok?!
Woohoo! You guys look awesome!
So cool! Congrats!
(Sorry for taking your original babysitters away...glad Greg and Kath could help out!)
Yay!! Congrats ;)Eva is so cute... she looks gorgeous in that picture... and how did our kids both end up with blond hair?? Miss you
Haha, sorry we didn't get you in the action at each station. Thanks for having us. It was a blast to be there with you.
Post a Comment